Information on the processing of personal data
Latest update: 16-09-2021
1. AssurCard NV, with registered offices at Fonteinstraat 1A, bus 0301, 3000 Leuven and registered with the Crossroadbank for Enterprises under number 0475.433.127, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (hereinafter "AssurCard"), is a service providers that facilitates communication between the insurance sector and several medical service providers.
2. AssurCard processes your personal data as a 'processor', i.e. on behalf of the insurer, in the execution of its agreement(s) therewith. AssurCard receives your personal data when you file a notification via its website, or when you and/or your insurer and/or another medical service provider submit them within the third-party payment system running via Assurcard, including via its website www.assurcard.be (hereinafter "Website").
3. For further information regarding the purpose and the legal basis of the processing of your personal data, you can contact the data controller of your personal data: your insurer or medical service provider, if applicable.
2. Legal framework
2.1 Assurcard processes your personal data on the instructions of the data controller, and respects the regulations regarding the protection of personal data:
- to carry out the agreement entered with your insurer and to carry out its activities, as described in article 1.2;
- to comply with the applicable regulations.
2.2 AssurCard only processes the personal data that you or your insurer or medical service provider provide to AssurCard, such as: first name, last name, date of birth, gender, address, e-mail address, telephone number, language preference, name of the employer, address of the employer, invoices of the medical service providers, BVAC documents, IP address when visiting the Website...
AssurCard will not transfer your personal data to third parties except to its subcontractors, for compliance with a legal obligation or when it has a legitimate interest to do so.
2.3 AssurCard commits itself to take (or have taken) all reasonable measures to guarantee the protection of your personal data against loss, destruction, alteration or unauthorized access through technical safety regulations and an adequate security policy.
AssurCard can only be held liable for damages resulting from an error or negligence exclusively attributable to AssurCard. Under no circumstances can AssurCard be held liable (i) in case of force majeure, (ii) for indirect or consequential damages, (iii) for any damages resulting from errors, shortcomings or omissions of you or of third parties such as the insurer, other than the processors of AssurCard. The total liability of AssurCard is in all cases limited to 1,000 (one thousand) euros.
Latest update: 16-09-2021
2. What are cookies?
Cookies are small, often encrypted, text files that are stored on your device or in your internet browser that you use to visit a website. They are used by our web developers to help you navigate the Website efficiently and perform certain functions. Due to their core role of enhancing and enabling usability or site processes, disabling cookies may affect the efficacy of (certain parts of) a website.
Cookies are generally categorized into 4 types:
- Strictly necessary cookies. These cookies are required for the operation of a website, they make a website usable by enabling basic functions such as page navigation and access to secure areas of a website. Without these cookies, services you have asked for cannot be provided. We are using such strictly necessary cookies.
- Performance cookies. These cookies collect information about how users use a website, for example which pages are visited or to identify errors. These cookies help us to improve the way a website works and do not collect information that identifies a user. The information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous. Please note that third parties (including, for example, providers of external services like web traffic analysis services) may have placed such performance cookies on our Website. We are currently not using such performance cookies.
- Functionality cookies. These cookies allow a website to remember choices you make (such as your user name, language or your region) and provide enhanced, more personal features. Where applicable, these cookies can also be used to remember changes you have made to text size, fonts and other parts of web pages that you can customize. The information these cookies collect may be anonymized and they cannot track your browsing activity on other websites. We are currently not using such functionality cookies.
- Tracking/statistic cookies. These cookies collect information about your browsing habits and interests in order to create statistics and make advertising relevant to you. They are also used to limit the number of times you see an advertisement and help measure the effectiveness of the advertising campaigns. They remember that you have visited a website and this information is shared with other organizations such as advertisers. We are using such tracking/statistic cookies offered by Google Analytics (see below).
In addition there is a difference between ‘first party cookies’ and ‘third party cookies’. First party cookies are installed and managed by AssurCard, third party cookies are installed and managed by other service providers, such as Google.
More information about the different types of cookies can be found at https://www.gegevensbeschermingsautoriteit.be/faq-themas/cookies and www.allaboutcookies.org.
We will use our cookies to be able to provide you with a well-functioning Website or, for the third party cookies, based on your consent or on our legitimate interest:
- to administer our Website and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- to improve our Website to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- to remember your setting, e.g. with regards to language;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our Website, when you choose to do so;
- as part of our efforts to keep our Website safe and secure;
- compile statistic’s;
- analyze how the visitors of the Website use the Website (e.g. how many times a page is visited…).
The information collected via cookies is not used by AssurCard to identify individual visitors of the Website.
4. What kind of cookies do we use?
We use the following cookies on the Website: strictly necessary and tracking/statistic cookies, that collect data of the Website, such as the number of visitors, the time spent by visitors on the web page and error messages. These are session cookies (this means that these are automatically deleted when shutting down your browser) or persistent cookies (these files stay in one of your browser's subfolders until you delete them manually or your browser deletes them based on the duration period contained within the cookie’s file).
Below follows an overview of the specific cookies we use on the Website, with its purpose and legal ground.
|Cookie Name||Type||Description||System/Cookie owner (first or third party cookie)||Duration|
|_ga||Statistic||Registers a unique ID that is used to generate statistical data on how you use the Website.||Third party (Google Analytics)||2 years|
|_gat||Statistic||Throttles a request rate.||Third party (Google Analytics)||1 day|
|_gid||Statistic||Generates statistical data on how you use the Website.||Third party (Google Analytics)||1 day|
|collect||Statistic||Sends data to Google Analytics about your device and use of the Website, by tracking you across devices and marketing channels.||Third party (Google Analytics)||session|
We are not responsible for third party cookies and advise you to direct yourself to the third parties’ cookie policies for more information or should you have any question and/or complaint.
5. How can you manage cookies?
Most browsers automatically accept cookies. You can set your browser to notify you before a cookie is set or to reject cookies. More information on how your browser can be set can be found via the ‘Help’ button on your browser.
If you use multiple devises to access the Website, you should make sure that your cookie preference is set on each device’s browser.
At any time you can withdraw your consent. You can control and/or delete cookies as you wish. For details, see www.aboutcookies.org. You can delete all cookies that are already on your device and you can set most browsers to prevent them from being placed. If you do this, however, you may have to manually adjust some preferences every time you visit the Website and some services and functionalities may not work. Please be aware that this may affect the efficacy of (certain parts of) the Website.
Depending on your browser, you can change your cookie preferences via one of the links below:
Internet Explorer: http://Windows.Microsoft.com/nl-nl/Windows7/Block-Enable-or-Allow-cookies;
6. Processing of personal data collected by our cookies
The cookies we use do not collect data in the context of AssurCard’s third party payment services; no sensitive personal data is collected by our cookies (e.g. health data or any other personal data your provide to AssurCard when you file a claim online). For more information regarding the processing of personal data in the context of AssurCard’s third party payment services, please consult our Privacy statement re third-party payment system.
The cookies used by us only collect the following personal data: your IP address, surfing behavior and consent.
The Google Analytics cookies will receive your IP address and surfing behavior directly from its cookies. Subsequently, Google Analytics will encrypt this and generate anonymous reports and statistics thereof for AssurCard. We advise you to direct yourself to Google Analytics cookie policies for more information or should you have any question and/or complaint.
Only the third party cookies providers and our IT services providers who developed and maintains our Website, and with whom we have concluded the necessary agreements, shall have access to these personal data and/or reports.
You are entitled to access your personal data and have them corrected when inaccurate or incomplete, to have them erased and to object to the processing thereof or have the processing thereof restricted, when the legal conditions thereto are met. Please note that we, and as the case may be, other recipients of the personal data, following performance of these rights, may not be able to comply with our/their contractual obligations. We do not accept any liability in this regard.
You are entitled to obtain a copy of your personal data (in a structured, commonly used, machine-readable format) and to have your personal data transferred to another controller (right to data portability).
To exercise these rights you can contact us via the following e-mail address: email@example.com.
We commit to take (or have) all reasonable measures (taken) to our best ability to safeguard the protection of your personal data indicated above through technical safety measures and an appropriate safety policy from destruction, modification or unauthorized processing.
In the event you have a question or complaint we ask you to contact us first. However please note that you can also file a complaint with the Belgian Data Protection Authority (Drukpersstraat 35, 1000 Brussel, firstname.lastname@example.org).
Conditions of use
Latest update: 16-09-2021
Right to one copy
This site is the brainchild of AssurCard.
This site and its contents are protected by copyright. If you would like a hardcopy of this digital information, feel free to print one copy for personal, non-commercial use. Please note: each copy of this document is in turn protected by copyright.
Copying, redistributing or publishing this site or any part of it may only be done with the permission of AssurCard.
Up to date information
Our aim is to provide you with accurate and up-to-date information. Even though – unfortunately – AssurCard is not always able to guarantee this.
AssurCard retains the right to add, delete or change information at any time without prior notification.
At your own risk
You are using this site at your own risk. This website contains links to third-party sites. AssurCard is not responsible for the accuracy of the information on these sites.
Conditions of use App
Latest update: 16-09-2021
End User Terms and Conditions
Thank you for using the Assurcard App. The App is an initiative of Assurcard NV, with registered offices at Fonteinstraat 1A/301 3000 Leuven and enterprise number 0475.433.127 (“Assurcard”) in the framework of its third-party payment system with its insurers.
Downloading and/or using the App, the information therein and/or the services provided thereon, imply that you as the user are completely aware and informed about all these end user conditions and that you accept them entirely and without any reservation.
Assurcard can, at any time and without prior notice, change and/or update the contents and these conditions of the App. The amendments will be published with the use of the App and will automatically come into effect after publication.
2. Use of the App
The App is free, only meant for users/physical persons of 18 years and older and can only be used after these terms and conditions have been accepted.
This App can only be used if you, or the person you legally represent, provide the following things, and in so far as they are used together with this App: valid card or identification number of the insurer regarding the third-party payment system, and valid means of identification (e.g. ID-card or passport).
The App can be used on the various types of smartphones and tablets.
Using this App you can:
- digitalise the physical cards which you/the people you legally represent have received from the insurer in order to make use of the third-party payment system in health care in accordance with the agreement entered into with the insurer to this end;
- digitalise the card numbers and other identification data which you have received via text message or email from the insurer;
- manually enter the card number and other identification details regarding the recipient of the third-party payment system in order to declare a hospitalisation via the means as provided by the insurer;
- contact the health insurance provider involved via the means provided (a.o. call centre);
- find hospitals which collaborate with Assurcard using a search engine (geographically, address, etc.) and save these as favourites in order to retrieve them easily;
- look up documentation of the insurer or the hospital involved in, so far as they collaborate with Assurcard.
This App works as follows:
- you download the App on your smartphone;
- you use your smartphone to scan the physical card or the identification number of your insurer and/or you manually enter the identification details concerning the third-party payment system like the card number, name, date of birth and the name of the company which issued the card;
- the physical card or identification number will now digitally appear on your smartphone with the card number and the other details you entered. This digital result can be shown in case of admission to a hospital, in order to be able to make use of the third-party payment system;
As a user of this App you only commit to digitalising the following cards or identification numbers of the insurer with the App, and to using the result for making the declaration for the third-party payment system:
- those issued by your insurer, on which you own name is printed and on the condition that you have entered into a valid agreement with your insurer which allows you to make use of the third-party payment system;
- those issued by your insurer, on which the name of the persons you legally represent is stated (either because you are their legal guardian – parents of their minor children or custodians – or because these people authorised you to act in their name and on their behalf to initialise the third-party payment system via the App, under the end user conditions as described here) and on condition that these people have entered into a valid agreement with their insurer which allows them to make use of the third-party payment system.
3. Intellectual property
The App, its structure as well as its contents, such as, but not limited to, wording, signs, databases, images, names, photos and software, are protected by intellectual property rights. Any direct or indirect violation on these rights is strictly prohibited. According to these conditions, Assurcard grants you, as the user/visitor, a non-transferrable, revocable, non exclusive, free, user right on all the intellectual property rights on the App to use it in Belgium, for free for the purpose of the App, pursuant to the exploitation methods described in these conditions, during the whole term of validity of your agreement with the insurer, to the extent as necessary to allow you to make use of the third-party payment system. No other rights are granted. It is, among others, forbidden to reproduce, to change, to disclose, to distribute for free or for payment or to send in a way which violates the intellectual property rights or these conditions, without Assurcard’s prior written consent.
As a user of the App, you grant Assurcard a transferrable, irrevocable, non-exclusive, worldwide, free user right on all the intellectual property rights on the information you create by using the app, for the whole duration of the respective rights and for all possible means of exploitation.
4. Protection of personal data
Upon downloading the App you grant Assurcard your unambiguous and informed consent to have your personal data used, collected and processed in accordance with these conditions as described in the Privacy Act, which is the Act of 8 December 1992 on the protection of privacy in relation to the processing of personal data (“Privacy Act”). You also guarantee and warrant for the third parties you represent and for whom you wish to use the App that Assurcard can use, collect and process the personal data.
This privacy declaration applies to all the functions of the App. This privacy declaration does however not apply to any other use of the physical card or identifications numbers of the insurer or the digitalised card via the App, on which another privacy declaration could apply as determined by that specific insurer.
As a user, you have a legal and free right to inspect and, if needed, correct or delete any errors in your personal data or the personal data of people you legally represent as described in the end user terms and conditions. On production of a proof of identity (copy of ID-card) you can send a written, dated and signed request to Assurcard via e-mail to email@example.com.
Using, collecting and processing of personal data
Assurcard can or will use the App to collect, use and process certain personal data in order to transfer the physical card or the identification numbers of the insurer into a digitalised card and have the App used for its purpose. It concerns the following personal data: first name, family
name, date of birth, name of the company, card number and other items which appear on the physical card or via the identification numbers of the insurer which will give you or the person you legally represent access to the third-party payment system.
As a user you guarantee that the details you communicate and the physical card or identification numbers of the insurer that you use are correct and complete and that you use valid means of identification to this end. Communicating false identities, incomplete or incorrect details, as well as details belonging to a third party who did not give a valid authorisation, can lead to you, as a user, being temporarily, or definitively, refused any access, wholly or partly, to the App and that you are made liable for any damages which may arise by such an incorrect communication or use and that you safeguard Assurcard for this.
Assurcard collects, uses and processes personal data to:
- be able to identify you or the person you represent as a user and to be able to use the App in all its functionalities;
- allow you to initialise the third-party payment system yourself and as such have implemented the agreement concerning this between the visitor/user and the insurer;
- improve the App and the offer;
- inform you as a user about the activities and the evolution of the App.
Assurcard will only store and use the above-mentioned personal data for as long as this can be useful for the use of the third-party payment system.
Assurcard acts as the responsible party for the processing of your personal data in so far as it is limited to the use of the App, i.e. the digitising of physical cards or the identification numbers of the insurer in digital cards. Assurcard commits, to the best of their ability, to take all reasonable measures in order to protect your personal data as a user or of the persons you represent and this via technical safety regulation and an adequate safety policy towards its employees. The personal data supplied by you via the App do not remain stored on the internet, but can be stored on the servers in Belgium or the Netherlands which Assurcard uses for the functioning of the App. You recognise, accept and realise, for yourself and for the persons you represent, that the use of the App is never without risks and that the damage you, or the persons you represent, could incur, by the unlawful use of your personal data, can never be sought to recover from Assurcard.
In case of irregular or unlawful behaviour of a user, the personal data of that user can be given to the competent (legal) authority as well as the information or details which this user used via the App, even if it concerns third party personal data.
Scanning physical cards, manually entering any details by yourself, using the cards that have been digitalised via the App and the use of third-party payment system linked to it, is done solely at your own risk as visitor of the App.
Assurcard is not liable for:
- the use you make of the App and which cards you digitise with it;
- the further use of the result of the App, i.e. the digitised card;
- the correct or incorrect use of the third-party payment system.
Although Assurcard strives for a careful checking of the App and its operation, the App and the information contained within are put at the user’s disposal without any guarantee concerning the operation, quality, accuracy, regularity, legality and/or safety. As far as the law allows, Assurcard cannot be held liable for any errors made by itself, its employees or its trustees, except when it concerns fraud, intentional or serious misconduct. In any case, the liability of Assurcard vis-à-vis visitors of the App or any third party, even in case of serious misconduct, is limited to an amount of 2,500 Euro.
Moreover Assurcard cannot be held liable in any case to reimburse:
- unforeseeable, indirect, accidental or immaterial damage, including, (but not limited to) loss of income, damage by loss of data or damage by transfer of viruses, despite any safety measures;
- damage to computer hardware or goods that are not part of using the App;
- damages caused by force majeure;
- damage resulting from the interrupted or insufficient access to or security of this App.
As a visitor you acknowledge and guarantee you have the necessary rights to use the App and to agree with these conditions and you indemnify Assurcard for all the damages which could occur as a result of a(n) (alleged) violation of the rights of third parties in this connection.
Assurcard reserves the right to, at any given moment, and without prior notification, and without any liability to complete, delete, improve, or change in any other way, any part of the information contained within the App, or deny, refuse or hinder a user’s access to, or use of the App.
By granting yourself access to the App, as a user you agree that all matters between you and Assurcard in connection to this App will be exclusively regulated by Belgian Law.
Any dispute in connection to this App will fall under the exclusive authority of the Courts of Leuven or Antwerp in the district of Antwerp for intellectual property.
If you have questions or remarks about these conditions, please contact Assurcard via Legal@assurcard.be.